Songwriting and Recording Summer Camp at Soapbox Music Studio and CWS
In a week-long day camp, participants will be introduced to the following exciting new concepts: analyzing the structure of a favorite song, composing original chord changes and melody, notating parts for other players, and basic audio recording and mixing techniques. At the end of the week, participants will take home an audio CD of their own song, performed by the group and mixed with the assistance of a professional audio engineer!
Who: Students 4th Grade and up with at least 1 year of instrumental experience.
When: June 25 – 29, Monday – Wednesday at CWS, Thursday and Friday at Soapbox Music in Logan Square. 10am – 3pm.
Bring: Your instrument and a bagged lunch. Snacks and supplies will be provided.
Registration: Before April 1 – $300. After April 1 – $350. Sibling discount available. Space is limited to eight participants.
Fun Stuff We’ll Do:
- Listen to a favorite song and analyze it!
- Learn about blues and rock song structure
- ‘Jam’ to get our ideas flowing
- Write our own chord changes and melody
- Notate parts for other players
- Rehearse the ‘session musicians’
- Learn about the fundamentals of studio audio recording
- Record and mix a live performance of everyone’s song!